[OM] Re: Puzzling Behaviour of my OM2n

Subject: [OM] Re: Puzzling Behaviour of my OM2n
From: "Dado dela Cruz" <dado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 08:42:27 +0800
Thanks for the help, Moose.

Dado
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 1:42 PM

> Sounds like a cold solder joint. Sometimes solder doesn't actually bond
> to one of the metals it is connecting. The mechanical connection works
> for some short or long period of time until a little surface corrosion
> creates a barrier to conduction. With experience and magnifying glass,
> it is pretty easy to spot. The solder puckers down around the wire,
> rather than coming to a tapering end going away from the joint.
> Reheating will sometimes fix it, sometimes solder has to be removed and
> new solder applied.
>
> I haven't been in an OM-2 for ages. Is this on the printed circuit
> board? If so, it could be a crack in a trace on the board, but the way
> it continues to work for some time after being moved makes that seem
> less likely to me. Whatever, it is almost certainly an interrmittant
> connection resulting from corrosion or physical damage and should be
> fairly easily repairable..
>
> Moose
>
> dado@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Now, I have an observation which is quite puzzling:
> >
> >The defect of my Om2n is that its longest exposure time in Auto mode is
only 5 seconds (Many reported that this should be at 3.5 min).

> > I took out the camera's cover located below the mirror, thus exposing
the electronic PC board. If I touch with my bare finger one of the terminals
of the so called SW101 (the gold plated things located beside the leftmost
SPD, that is Silicon Photo Diode, with camera facing you) and then make
another long exposure test, the time goes to the normal 3.5 minutes.
However, this condition is only temporary, after several hours, the exposure
time will return to only about 5 seconds.

> >Did anybody experience this one?  I'd like to have the camera restored to
it's normal 3.5 minutes long exposure capability and I suspect there is
quick fix (?) on this problem