[OM] Re: E-1 discussion.

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion.
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:05:22 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Scharf" <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> yes, well, as we will agree, much of our preferences for color are
> subjective, as it were.

Yes, sometimes color is subjective.

> I would agree with you on JPEGs from my 1D, but in general I find the
> JPEGs from my D60 to be quite pleasing. It all comes down to control
> over white balance. The 10D was not noted for great Auto White
> Balance. Here' s a suggestion: Next time you shoot with your 10D,
> shoot a few frames in JPEG/ Large Fine and create a custom white
> balance, and then shoot your subjects. See if that helps JPEG
> quality, my guess is it will.

Before using PhaseOne I use custom white balance whenever I need "accurate"
color, after that it is not necessary anymore. It is not convenient to lock
white balance for out door, color temp could change in seconds.

Beside auto color balance problem, there is something that many people may
not notice, even I don't have good monitor like you I notice it the first
time when I saw the picture came out from 10D. The problem was the contrast
linearlity, the shadow area drop very fast and the area supposted to look
dark grey becomes black. I confirm the problem is not due to my viewing
system by changed to PhaseOne, the "film like" setting in PhaseOne totally
correct this and this is the default setting.

http://photos.imageevent.com/puma_cat/olympuse1photos/websize/FlowerNeutral.jpg

> Bear in mind that I am viewing these images on a La Cie Electron Blue
> IV Color Reference CRT monitor calibrated with a Gretag-Macbeth
> Eye-One Display to a color temperature of D65 and a monitor gamma of
> 2.2. Your mileage may vary, especially if your monitor is set to a
> color temperature notably higher.

Sorry, I can't agree with your color "correction" it doesn't match with what
I remember. My monitor is set to 5000K, it is a non professional Sony but
I'm pretty sure it is accurate enough, as my 4000ED-Slide-5000K light box
confirmed it quite well, also my Polaroid film recorder output also match
very well with my screen.

C.H.Ling