[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 23:35:59 -0700

>PMFJI but this sounds like the characteristics of the digital capture
>are made irrelevant by post-processing.  The differences between Velvia
>and Provia can also be made irrelevant, mostly, by post-processing too.
>
>I would think it might be OK to prefer the capture of one camera over
>another.  In color photography, what is more of the essence than "bias
>for coloration"?

Neutral grays.

>Joel W.

Joel,
Well, I think the characteristics are not made irrelevant by
post-processing, that's just my point; only with a proper workflow
and at least some depth of understanding of color correction  can one
1) make a meaningful evaluation of color performance, and 2) realize
the true image and color potential of these wonderful cameras.

I couldn't agree more about your point about preferences-I prefer the
image quality of my D60 to my 1D, but my point is that it's best to
make these considerations when the appropriate control is used in
evaluating your images; when a proper tonal range, setting of black
point, midtone, and white point, and getting your neutrals truly
neutral is obtained. Otherwise, it's like a person doing traditional
color film printing and saying that one color film or paper is better
than another when he doesn't even have his color pack dialed in. What
a lot of people don't realize is that having your grays *really* be a
neutral gray has an important and dramatic impact on the quality and
perception of your *color*. If you're looking at images without
getting your neutrals dead-on, you're not evaluating your color in an
accurate and meaningful way-by definition,you can't, because if your
neutrals aren't neutral, you have, by defintion,  a color cast. And
by definition, you can't make an accurate evaluation  of color when a
cast because the cast influences the way we see color due to
metamerism and our tristimulus mode of color perception.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!