[OM] Re: Tamron vs sigma 57-300 and 60-300 zooms

Subject: [OM] Re: Tamron vs sigma 57-300 and 60-300 zooms
From: jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:06:57 +0100 (BST)

>>I really doubt that the SP 60-300 is a better performer than my 75-300
>> APO (which I bought for $62 shipping included), but I might be wrong.
>>
> I made no claim whatsoever about whether the SP 60-300 is better than
> any lens other than opining that it is likely better than a couple of
> specific mid-70s zooms. I have no idea how it performs relative to your
> Sigma. I do know that it is a very good performer on its own both from
> my own experience and from the experience of others I trust.

I own both the Sigma apo and the Tamron. Both can take a beating (they wew
second hand from my father). Both have depth of field preview so no
differences there other than the sigmas is via a push button like the
Olympus lenses and the tamrons is via a spring loaded movable leaver.

The tamron is slightly faster but has a bigger screw thread and is *much*
heavier. although at 300 the lengths are not that different. Having said
that I experimented with different shutter speeds on and off a tripod
using print film ( I will need to get my notes to make sure of this but I
seem to remember that) the tamron is fine on a tripod down to about a
1/60th even on full zoom. Hand held I can get away with 125th. Quality
wise I think the tamron is a little sharper - photos out of by bedroom
window across a playing field to the houses on the other side [no I was
not spying on people bedroom activity] :-) (both lenses same appature on a
tripod). The marco on the Tamron also works very well - apart from it is a
little difficult to get sharp focusing because you push and pull the lens
rather than rotate to focus in macro mode - varimagnifier works well in
this situation. :-) The tamron also has the advantage of being able to
mount on many different bodies should you ever decided to be unfaithful.
anyway thats my £2 worth. On ebay in the uk the Sigma seems to go
consistently for about £70 and the Tamron about 50-55 - In the uk I don't
think Tamron is that popular (other than the 90mm macro)

Regards
James