[OM] Re: Color temperature

Subject: [OM] Re: Color temperature
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 06:39:17 +0100
Or, for that matter, why would you take your friends into a 'booth' to
view a print?

My computer is in a cellar lit with low-energy bulbs behind variously
coloured gels (mostly slightly bluish).  I set my monitor to D50 and
2.2 Gamma using Apple's Colorsync software.  I print my photos and take
them upstairs into the sunlight proudly to show my wife (or anyone else
who will look); or I take them to work and pin them on my noticeboard.
A gentle compromise in setting up my monitor is all that is needed ...

... and accidentally getting an interesting colour cast is no hardship
;-)

Chris

On 5 Jun 2004, at 04:56, Winsor Crosby wrote:

> I am afraid that is just incomprehensible to me without an explanation.
> Why is the world would you color correct your image on a 6500k monitor
> in order to get what you want in a print viewed under 5000k light?
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, CA
> USA
> On Jun 4, 2004, at 8:33 PM, Stephen Scharf wrote:
>
>> "-> What is the best environment for color correction?
>> You may well find a better color match between your prints at 5000K
>> and images viewed on a monitor calibrated to 6500K rather than 5000K.
>> GIve it a try. For viewing prints, a good booth is a must. Most come
>> with 5000K fluorescent tubes using strange phosphor mixes to produce
>> a fairly even spectrum. Something along the lines of a SpectraLight
>> that offers D50 tungsten is even better albeit more costly. No matter
>> which solution you choose, you want a booth that is dimmable to match
>> the brightness of your monitors."

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.