[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #130

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #130
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 18:13:17 +0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Scharf" <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> >On Jun 4, 2004, at 8:33 PM, Stephen Scharf wrote:
>
> Winsor,
> If you need a detailed answer from a pro, it would be best to post in
> Rob Galbraith and ask Ethan that....but, my understanding is that
> this is the recommended procedure because it is, empirically, and not
> theoretically, what most people find give the best results most of
> the time; people find that when they use 6500K on the monitor that
> gives the best match to a print from an RGB output device (asssuming
> the correct profile is used)  when viewed at 5000K; unless of course,
> one is outputting to CMYK on a U.S. press, where, as I've said
> previously, one often uses 5000K for the color temperature.

I'm not a pre-press expert but the comment about you need 5000K due to
yellow print paper is hard to believe, I don't see good quality photo books
are yellw,  at least not 1500K different. 5000K is using everywhere and on
most hardware, the different between 5000K and 6500K is very big, if you
shoot slide you will know it very well. Why you can accept 6500K monitor
setting is because your eyes auto adjust the color. If you try to match a
photo to your monitor with a 5000K light source (for your photo), a 6500K
monitor will not work.

There is also nothing related to RGB output or CMYK output as long as you
are using the right profile. All workflow is try to make sure WYSIWYG, if
your proofing light source is 5000K you need a 5000K monitor (unless there
is another set of curve on your display driver corrected the color before
output to your monitor). All the quotes you have seen only mentioned the old
device or non professional device which cannot proive a good 5000K output,
it doesn't mean 5000K is not right, it is your device not capable.

C.H.Ling