[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 10:40:09 -0400
At 3:35 AM +0200 6/6/04, Listar wrote:
>From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
>Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 10:10:25 -0700
>
>[snip]
>
>Generalizing about sensor type is difficult because camera makers vary
>their approach to their camera lines. Both Nikon and Canon assume that
>the people who buy their lowest priced DSLRs will want to do post
>processing less than people who spend more money for a pro camera. Even
>the so called "raw" images look different. So the 10D has a slightly
>softer, less contrasty, smoother raw image that is more capable of
>being turned into a great image with a little work and the 300D is a
>little sharper, more contrasty, more saturated, a little more noisy
>straight out of the camera even though they use the same sensor. Ready
>to print though.

This strikes me as a key point: Just as with film cameras, it all
depends on the intended audience and purpose of the camera.   So, a
major part of the effort to understand is to look past the marketing
bafflegab (a camera for all purposes) to determine the target
audience, and the manufacturer's assumptions about that audience.

Joe Gwinn