[OM] Re: E-1 discussion

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 11:56:33 -0400
At 3:35 AM +0200 6/6/04, Listar wrote:
>From: Brian Sledz <brianhome@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 discussion
>Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 08:38:13 -0500
>

>Hi Joe,
>Yes the CCD/CMOS chips are being cooled.  They typically have a built
>cooling system that chills the camera to -20 -40 below ambient temps.
>They are self contained and are very safe.
>I should have been more clear in my description about the differences I
>notice with CMOS.  To my eyes and having looked at thousands of
>CCD/CMOS astro pics, [it] is the contrast coupled with edge sharpness.  The
>CMOS pics, Canon 10D included, have a smoothness about them, as if you
>viewing them through a very slight blur filter.  The CCD also seems to
>have a more contrasty image and appears to need less USM or any out-of-
>camera sharpening.  I am not saying the Canon can't take great pics, in
>fact it does, but I seem to have to play with the images more, WB,
>sharpness, and highlights blown out.

The implication (from Winsor's posting, for one)  is that the 10D
needs more smoothing, to control the noise from the CMOS sensor.

>I know I can set up parameters on the Canon but that leaves shooting in
>Adobe RGB out.  Maybe it comes down to this, with the Canon, depending
>on the lens, I have to adjust saturation, sharpness and WB.  One reason
>why I like Leicas, they are all very very similarly color
>corrected (but that's another topic).  With the Oly lenses, I see the
>colors being the same lens to lens and the sharpness being the same.  I
>was looking for a system where I could shoot the same settings lens to
>lens, rely on AWB, carry less and get good out of camera pics.  I have
>not had my E1 long, a week only, and feel I am at the point where i
>could just shoot jpgs.  After a year and 3 months with a Canon system,
>I always shoot raw+jpg.

Hmm.  Having to play with the camera more may be more a
human-interface issue than anything else, but it may also reflect an
inherent difficulty with the 10D sensor, that forces one to fiddle
more to get the desired results.

It reminds me of my amazement when I first got a studio flash.   I
never quite connected the dots on how much effort I spent on
adjusting the camera, et al, to get technically correct shots (never
mind artistic).  It was just the way things were.  With the studio
flash, I had so much more controlled light that camera settings
became an afterthought, not an obsession, and the quality of my
photos improved dramatically.  I never realized what not having that
studio flash was costing me, until I got one.

Joe Gwinn