[OM] Re: An interesting solution to storing digital images in the field

Subject: [OM] Re: An interesting solution to storing digital images in the field.
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 11:11:35 -0600
At 09:37 AM 6/6/2004 -0500, you wrote:
>I notebook with a card reader and burner is the best approach if you
>don't mind the expense and complication. Not only do you have a safe
>method of doing archiving, you also have a screen that allows a much
>better review than any on camera display...

When I went to Hawai'i in late March/early April I used an iPod with a Belkin
CF Media Reader.  *Very* compact, albeit slow: it takes the Belkin reader
approx. 11.5 minutes to dump the contents of one 256 MByte CF card to the iPod,
during which time the iPod's HD is spinning constantly -- a real battery
drainer!  The iPod's batteries were only good for four to five 256 MByte CF
cards before the iPod needed to be recharged, but even with RAW image capture,
that still represented about 250 images you could safely capture, review
on-camera and then save per day.  That's a lot!

And of course, we could use the iPod for other things, like carrying massive
amounts of tunes which we could replay through the rental car's FM radio with a
little $50.00 FM transmitter thingy which popped into the top of the iPod.  All
in all, a reasonably elegant setup.  And your images survive the x-ray machines
o' deth without your breaking into a sweat or making a scene at security
checkpoints.  Always a good thing, seeing as how there were an awful lot of
earnest young men in the background of most airports, trigger fingers ready on
automatic weapons.

Garth