[OM] ON-2N and battery failure

Subject: [OM] ON-2N and battery failure
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 10:50:29 -0500
I don't understand batteries.  I don't understand a lot of things.

I was shooting my black OM-2N last fall every weekend when my son was
playing football and soccer (also known as "football" to some of you).
The last game of the season, it appeared that the meter went haywire.
It would not provide a correct reading in either auto or manual, instead
it showed readings that were way over the top, as though I were making
wild over-exposures.  I was sad, the camera's CLA was fairly recent, the
batteries checked out, but the camera was still making what seemed to be
OK exposures, as though the OTF was working fine.  I shot Sunny 16 and
finished the roll.  I put the camera in the cabinet, pending further
thought as to what to do with it, and removed the batteries so that I
could use them in a working body when next required.

They were required yesterday when the batteries in my OM-4 took the
sharp dive.  I fetched the OM-2N batteries and they were as dead as the
ones I had taken out of the OM-4.  I put fresh batteries in the OM-4,
made my shots, and then put them in the OM-2N to see if the camera was
OK.  Lo and behold, the meter was working predictably.  The shutter
stuck the first time, but thereafter it was firing and metering
perfectly.

What seems to have happened is that the meter went haywire in some stage
of battery failure prior even to the shutter starting to lock up.  Who
ever heard of that?

Joel W.