[OM] Re: My first portrait with E1

Subject: [OM] Re: My first portrait with E1
From: "David Irisarri" <div2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 16:07:33 +0200
Hi,

I am really happy you liked my photo. According to some of your replies, I
must say that all photographic shops from La Coruna, here in Spain know me
because I am really fed up with poor E-6 processing. I have explained to
them thousands of times that I wanted to scan them and I needed them really
flat. They tried single with/without marquitoes, strips of six or even
without cutting the full roll!!! I always had problems here in Spain. When I
used to live in Bornemouth I never had any problem and slides were perfectly
flat! I also sent to Ed Hamrick a technique to scan the slide in ten parts
and it worked 100% but he never answered me.

James, I don´t know which program do you normally use to scan your slides
but I highly recommend Vuescan Professional. I can say without any doubt
that it´s the best. Creating colour ICC profiles it´s another story but
scanning it´s a beast! For me the best workpath is... Scan your slides in
48-bit raw from Vuescan applying only ICE. Create your ICC profile with some
of the following programs!

GretagMacBeth ProfileMaker http://www.gretagmacbeth.com/
Monaco Profiler http://www.monacosys.com/
LittleCMS http://www.littlecms.com Very, very, very accurate and it´s free!
XLProfiler http://www.aim-dtp.net/

When you´ve applied your profile in PS, adjust levels and you´ll get a
perfect slide. Be carefull because some ICC programs work with gamma 1.0 and
others with gamma 2.2. If you create an ICC profile with gamma 2.2, scan RAW
24 bit images with Vuescan and with ICC gamma 1.0 use 48 bit images. Hope
this will help you.

>>Wonder what you might have produced with a little more or perhaps a
>>little less of the spanish wine. {;^)   Bill Barber

I love Spanish wine ;-)))))

>>none of us but you know what is outside that crop that might
>>make it simply necessary. In any case, I like it as it is.

Exactly Moose!!! I had to crop the image because the background was ugly and
I tried to erase it and change for another one using lens blur but at the
end I cropped the picture.

Again, I would like to say thanks for all of your coments and suggestions.

Best regards,

Dave

OLYMPUS... el mejor complemento para estimular tu sensibilidad y agudizar
tus sentidos. ;-)