[OM] Re: An SUV Question

Subject: [OM] Re: An SUV Question
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2004 19:18:00 -0700
Depending on the height needed, a tall tripod and short ladder, box,
etc. will get "over the heads of the crowd". I've used my Bogen 475B and
4047 head to do just that. They put the lens just above 6' with just leg
extension, then the center column adds 10". I know what folks say about
center columns, but this is different, big, geared, hefty and locks like
a rock, at least for an OM and any lens I have. The tripod is rated for
12kg/26.5 lbs.

A sturdy ladder with clamps to hold a monopod could get higher, but
would be more specialized/awkward and heavier.

I can't really stand on top of my convertible.  :-) I can stand up in
it, though, and lean on the fake roll bar for support. Our old
haul-it-all wagon says the roof rack can carry 200 lbs. That doesn't
leave much for any sort of platform after you count me and my camera
gear. With good shocks, I'd think a car would be pretty stable after it
settled down from any serious activity. I've certainly used cars
successfully as support/braces before, if not from on the roof.

Moose