[OM] An SUV Question (roof rack capacity)

Subject: [OM] An SUV Question (roof rack capacity)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 09:49:18 -0400
At 3:40 AM +0200 6/10/04, Listar wrote:
>Subject: [OM] An SUV Question
>From: "Alienspecimen" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
>Date: Wed,  9 Jun 2004 13:49:21 -0400 (EDT)
>
>I can engineer it myself, but before invent the wheel, thought I'd
>better ask...
>I would like to construct a platform of some sort that would go on
>roof rack of an SUV (or roof itself...), that would allow me to hop
>with my OMies and tripod (mandatory OM content) on the top of it and
>take pictures impossible for a hobbit to take.
>I don't really care about the looks, practicality is much more important.
>Please, let me know if you have done it, or know a good place on the
>Net with info on it.

First check in the specifications for the SUV in question for the max
allowed load on the roof, the roof rails, and (if it has them) the
rack attachment hardpoints.

If the carrying capacity is sufficient, buy the beefiest roofrack
designed to fit, and attach a piece of 3/4-inch plywood to the rack
using through-bolt U-straps with metal backing plates on the other
side.  (Do not use screws into the plywood, as they will surely rip
loose while you are driving at high speed.  Bolt the leading edge
down very securely, with metal backplates, so the slipstream cannot
get under the front of the sheet and tear it loose.  It may be useful
to drill a pattern of pressure-relief holes in the center of the
sheet, to reduce the aerodynamic lift.)  Be sure to paint the plywood
after drilling all the holes, getting paint on all wood surfaces, to
keep weather away from the wood.  You will also need a stepladder, to
get up onto the sheet.

Joe Gwinn