[OM] Re: A question about color resolution and film vs. digital

Subject: [OM] Re: A question about color resolution and film vs. digital
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 10:37:23 -0700
I don't know, but it is sort of like the old Deep Throat quotation,
"Follow the money." Pearls used to be sorted by color by individuals
with good color perception and lots of training. I would be willing to
bet that the color sorting is done digitally now.

I also think the problem may be the opposite of what you say. The whole
issue of dynamic range is to actually reduce the range of light
intensity in the real world to one that can be represented on film, on
a computer screen or in a print. Slide film is criticized because it
does not have the dynamic range of color negative film because a
smaller light difference will cause a greater change in value on the
film. The whole trick is to try and get the extremes in the world which
your eye has no trouble with reduced down to to 7 or 8 f stops that can
be handled by the best photomedia.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA