[OM] Re: Headaches, was neck straps and TOPE 18

Subject: [OM] Re: Headaches, was neck straps and TOPE 18
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 20:26:55 +1000
> AG Schnozz [mailto:agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx]  wrote:
> I absolutely agree about the neck pressure bringing on a
> migraine. For me, it can be as inoculous as the collar of a
> jacket or sweater.  Or the headrest in an automobile.  Or
> looking up.

Phew! Sometimes, talking about migraine (and triggers and cures)
can make one feel a little bit "fringe" in the psyche department,
so it's nice to know at least some*one* else gets the same
trigger.

> If I'm working with a tripod, I have a tendency to just leave
> the camera on the tripod and carry it en-masse.

With the OM1, the advantage of the stretchiness of the neoprene
strap is that it wraps snugly around your wrist, so I often
just carry the camera in my hand. There's a "method" that I have
to wrap it in to get my shooting finger and grip in the right
place, but it's nice and grippy once it's there. Of course, then
my wrist sometimes gets a bit achy, because it's not as "safe"
as a proper wrist strap, which means you're constantly gripping
the camera (but the pain's just a tad more tolerable than migraine
of course :-)).

I'll definitely be looking at that harnass setup that was mentioned.

> Don't know about the rest of you, but caffeine is about the
> only thing that will touch my migraines--but that's only on
> some of them.

I agree (though too much can be bad too). One of the things
that I found was that giving caffeine up altogether reduces
the number of migraines. Unfortunately, in the short term,
giving up can (and is at the moment) increase them.

To segue into another OT thread, I've discovered that chilli
(peppers or sauce, or even sweet chilli sauce if you want to
have it "with a spoonful of sugar" :-) ) helps. Others more medically
inclined may know the exact reason, but I'm thinking that it's
for the same reason as caffiene, and is to do with increased
bloodflow.

> I'm thankful for a B&W darkroom in a very quiet corner of the
> basement.  I can go in there turn out all the lights, wrap
> myself up in a blanket and rest until the nausea passes.

...and sitting in front of a "digital darkroom" doesn't
help? <g> (I work in IT Support, in front of a monitor all
day. As Dr. Smith said, "The pain! The pain!")