[OM] Re: OT Eats, shoots and leaves

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Eats, shoots and leaves
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 21:39:37 +1000

On 14/06/2004, at 3:11 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> I am a bit of a boring/irritating email respondent; I now point out
> solecisms and apostrophe abuse where they occur.

Why limit yourself? Get stuck into sophistry, obloquy and obfuscation
as well. Hound the inadequate avoidance of the subjunctive. Insist that
the choice of -ise or -ize endings be related to Greek or Latin roots,
not to mere transatlantic ethnicity. This is serious mate (unlike most
of my Greek or latin roots!)

> Vocabulary as well
> sometimes: I still regret not telling a group captain (2 ranks higher
> than I was at the time) that he was misusing the word "prevaricate"
> when he was describing the way the German MOD was acting in the
> Eurofighter programme.  He should have written "procrastinate".

Definitely falls into the 'get a life' category, mate! You've just got
to learn to let it go!
Me, I'd be happy if most of my students understood that 'a lot' is two
words (thankyou idiot primary teachers) and if my deranged principal
(head teacher) knew that 'you' is a plural already (thank'ee ma'am - is
that spelt 'youse' or 'ewes'?)
Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggghhhh!

Andrew'F
http://www.pbase.com/afildes