[OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:50:07 -0700 (PDT)
> I will be passing through this area (well, close enough to
> make a little
> detour) the middle of next month.  Does anyone have any
> suggestions about where to
> spend one night for a late afternoon and early morning shoot.
>  Also where to
> do the shoot. OM content: I'll be shooting with an OM, an e-1
> and probably
> the 4X5.  Any suggestions from those who have been there would
> be appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.  Bill Barber

You've got three camping options.  There is a private campground
right at the entrance. The "classic" photographs have all been
taken right at or near the entrance.  The second option is the
primary campground inside the park. For NPS campgrounds, this
one is pretty nice.  The third option is for those who have 4WD
vehicles and a little bravery--go on the trail for a couple of
miles and freecamp in one of the backcountry spots.

Given your time schedule, I'd probably drift towards the private
campground as the best option.

Photographic locations?  Well, the entrance is your "best view"
and gives a nice mountainous background.  I photographed this
location at night under a full moon--really cool.  Down in the
park, if you have a 4WD and don't mind negotiating lots of soft
sand, you can go down to where the stream runs along side the
dunes. Really cool, being surrounded by huge (and steep) sand
hills.

Another location that I pause to tell you about involves a
little bit of trespassing. On the main road heading back west,
go a couple of miles and look for a jeep trail that takes off to
the north-west. This will be near the top of a very gentle rise
(it's all downhill to the east). The land is owned/managed by
TNC. Travel up this trail (nothing requiring 4WD except for
clearing bison droppings) for a half mile or so--it'll cross
another trail.  You'll see a little rise (15 foot at most) on
your right. Get out scamper up to the top. You'll have a very
nice and completely unblocked view of the dunes backed by the
mountians.

I've got this spot marked on my DeLorme, so if you're
interested, I can get you the exact coordinates.

On the main east/west road almost back to the highway there is a
really cool abandoned house on the north side. I spent quite a
bit of time photographing it in B&W with the 4x5.  The shots
were spectacular, but I ended up with damaged negs from dust
problems.  Feel free to have fun with it.

If you're into 4-wheeling, the trail at the dunes going NE up to
the mountain ridgeline is nice.  It's just mean enough to be
fun, but nothing that a factory stock can't handle. A full-size
pickup truck *might* get a scratch or to from two tight spots
and you'll knock the frame rails in a couple others, but nothing
other than that.  You'll see mountain goats and lots of other
wildlife on this cruise.  Oh, and airing down the tires is
pretty much manditory to clear the sand at the beginning of the
trail and will provide a much smoother ride over the rocks.  If
you keep going, you'll come out on the east side of the
mountains, which is great if you are going that way as it will
cut off quite a bit of time from heading either south or north
to get out of there.  I recon that if you are coming from the
east, using the trail would be a great way to get into the
dunes.  (a public air compressor is available by the campground
in the park).

Of all the places we've camped as a family, this is one of our
most favorite locations.  There's something for everyone.  Last
August we spent three days there and never once were we eager to
leave.

AG-Schnozz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail