[OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 15:03:55 -0700
Alienspecimen wrote:

>You can thank me later Walt, for saving your soul...
>We do it, because we enjoy taking pictures and to be honest with you there is
>always a good chance that you can take a better picture of the same subject
>than some famous photographer (now if you are going to ever get published or
>even become famous yourself, that's another story...:)

I think my shot of Third and Fourth Recesses from Pioneer Lakes Basin is
better than the one on the cover of the Time Life book on the Sierra
Nevada. Almost the identical shot, taken long before I ever saw the
book. Theirs has the lake in the foreground smoother, but I've got
better light on the Recesses. Maybe I took mine first, so they are the
copycats!

>If you look realistically, everything is a trend nowadays.  Photo.net has
>rating for originality, which I consider a joke.  There is nothing original
>about arts anymore.  Everything falls in two categories: marketable now and
>marketable later...
>So I wait patiently in line to put my feet where the footprints of many are
>left and take a picture enjoying every moment of it (secretly crossing my
>fingers in hope that the light would be kinder to me than to the previous guy
>and my picture would look better...)

Somehow it was very comforting to me to have my own pictures of the lone
Jeffery pine on the So. rim of Yosemite when I hard it had died. Better
than AA's famous shot? Well maybe not, but pretty good. Of course I'm
not just sure where they are at the moment.......

Moose