[OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?
From: foefam@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 20:52:53 -0600
My family and I stayed at an Alamosa Days Inn last March, cutting our New
Mexico mini-vacation short to see the dunes. It wasn't the greatest hotel
in the world, for sure, but being on the east side of town it was only
about 25 minutes to the main attraction. If you search for Alamosa on the
web you can track down a number of better choices. Next time we'll try the
campground by the main entrance for convenience if nothing else.

It's a beautiful area, with the wide San Luis valley surrounded by lots of
nearby 14ers. Blanca Peak is awesome, especially coming up from the South -
keep an eye out for wild horses. If you're heading North after seeing the
dunes, the views along 285/24 up to I-70 can use up a lot of film,
especially when there's still some snow left.

Don't forget the sunscreen!
-Mark