[OM] Re: B&W with Color Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: B&W with Color Filters
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 21:09:59 -0700
on 6/16/04 8:22 AM, AG Schnozz at agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> FWIW,
>
> I'm not having much success with putting filters on my digicam.
> For one thing, the metering over-exposes by a factor of 3 to 4.
> Secondly, the tonal curves are really trashed.  Seems that the
> bayer array's algorithm really does require all four sensors
> within the site to get light to be able to adequately generate
> the recorded pixel information.  A red #25, for example,
> produces nothing but murkiness.
>
> Now, what about applying color filters in an editor?  Yes, that
> works and you do get an opportunity to learn what's going on.
> But I haven't been able to come anywhere near to the tonal
> seperations and tonal smoothness of silver-based films and
> papers.
>
> A well exposed and processed negative is able to capture more
> tonal nuances and has far superior shoulder/toe characteristics
> than digital.
>
> The darkroom won't be retired quite yet.
>
> AG

I think the Bayesian filter arrangement pretty much means you need to
capture white light to get full information for each pixel. But then,
because you can separate the color channels you can pick tonalities after
the fact in Photoshop and get similar results. I don't know if the 'filter'
is the same as changing the relative brightness values for the color
channels, though.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...