[OM] Kodak PictureCD enhancement?

Subject: [OM] Kodak PictureCD enhancement?
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 22:44:55 -0500
I may be stoned for admitting it, but I often have a Kodak PictureCD made
when I have a roll of film processed, to have a convenient set of digital
images if I don't feel like firing up my film scanner...

Anyway, I just noticed that Kodak seems to have done a "Stealth upgrade" of
the product... as initially introduced, the images were scanned at 1536 x
1024 pixels, or about 1.5 megapixels; a recently processed roll resulted in
2100 x 1400 pixel images, or about 2.8 megapixels... a decent improvement!
Has anyone else noticed this? I'm surprised that Kodak has not publicized
this enhancement... unless I live in a test market of some sort! For what
its worth, APS film is scanned at 2100 x 1200 pixels. Since the APS frame
is only 30mm vs the 36mm of 35mm film, it would appear that the PictureCD
scanner is not set to a fixed pixel per inch resolution - another curios
feature...

A puzzle to be sure - anyone have any light to shine on the subject?

Curt

P.S. Anyone know of a service that will do whole roll scanning of
transparency film at a price anywhere near what the PictureCDs now cost
($3.99 above the cost of processing and 1 set of prints at my local Target
store)?