[OM] Re: hot mustard, was Re: Re: Sad news in the BBQ department - seve

Subject: [OM] Re: hot mustard, was Re: Re: Sad news in the BBQ department - severely OT
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 17:03:10 -0600
At 04:48 PM 18/06/2004, Siddiq wrote:

[snip]

>is hot mustard the stuff that comes in a small (2" or so) shallow bowl,
>looking very much like mustard, smells like varnish, and will burn your
>sinuses clean a few seconds after you taste it?

<Monty-Pythonesque British accent>

"Could be.  Could be.  Def'nitely a possibility, guv."

</Monty-Pythonesque British accent>

Mind you, really good hot mustard still tastes very much like mustard --
even the Chinese stuff, which has more heat and less taste than others
(IMNSHO).  Heat without flavour is pointless, only good for machismo
contests.  If you really want to make good hot mustard, get a well-known
brand of dry mustard powder (I use Keen's, simply 'cause it's available,
although I'm sure there's tastier stuff out there) and mix it up according
to the package directions.  For variations, use white wine, beer, mead or
vinegar for the liquid.  Then let it sit for a while, and taste *very*
carefully...  Ahhhhh, that's good...

Garth