[OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant (Radar Range)

Subject: [OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant (Radar Range)
From: Joe Gwinn <joegwinn@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:11:10 -0400
At 3:26 AM +0200 6/19/04, Listar wrote:
>Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 13:44:37 -0700
>From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: Another old guy digital rant
>  >
>>......microwave ($500, 70 lb. Amanna, 1979),.......
>>
>I still have an original Amana RadarRange Cookmatic out in the shop.
>Enough chrome to make a '56 Buick blush. It was also  a candidate for my
>TOPE entry but didn't make the cut. Still heats my coffee and performs
>other tasks just fine. It was given to me by a client when they redid
>the kitchen. I couldn't bear to see it hauled off to the dump. I like to
>think the Duke heated his coffee in it as he frequently visited these
>folks when in the area.

I have to ask, what operating frequency?  It will say on the
nameplate, probably on the back.  The old ones used something like
915 Megahertz, while present day ones use 2,450 MHz (2.45 GHz).

Legend has it that one reason the old microwaves didn't do well in
the market was that the 915-MHz units could not cook thin foods like
bacon, while 2.45 GHz can.  (Another reason would be the size and
cost, but they were intended for restaurants, not homes, back then.

The advantage of 915 MHz is that the heating is far more even than at 2.45 GHz.

Joe Gwinn