[OM] Re: 35-105 zoom - problem with aperature control

Subject: [OM] Re: 35-105 zoom - problem with aperature control
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:07:19 -0300

 > Anyway, if I grip the aperature ring at the 3 & 9 o'clock position, it
 > moves stifly between the settings. If I grip the ring at 12 & 6
 > o'clock, the aperature control works perfectly fine - not as smoothly as
 > my 135/2.8; closer to my 24/2.8 or 50macro. Wierd.
 >
 > Can someone who owns one of these lenses tell me if this is normal for
 > this design? Or is this indication of a particular problem? The seller
 > has given me the opportunity to return the lens and I'll do so if there
 > are repairs in order.
 >
 > Thanks,
 >
 > Glenn

It sounds as though the aperture ring might be going slightly out of round,
and more so when you grip it in a certain place. I don't have that
particular lens, but have experienced it with another third party I have.
For mine, there were screws that had to be adjusted slightly to make it work
more smoothly. I'm not sure how yours is made, however. As to whether you
send it back or keep it might depend on how comfortable you are working
around it with a screwdriver. I don't mind working on the ones I get
cheaply.

I had a somewhat similar problem with my recently purchased Vivitar 90/2.5
macro. The focus ring was slightly loose, so I slipped the rubber grip ahead
to tighten the 3 screws. Of course, not knowing exactly what I was doing, I
tightened the first one all the way in to a snug position, then the other
two, which took less turns. The result was, the focus grip then turned
harder at some positions than at others when it made a complete revolution,
almost as if it were out of round. So I had to loosen and reset the screws
all the same, sort of like you'd tighten wheel nuts all about the same. It
now works fine.
Wayne