[OM] Slide vs Digital comparison

Subject: [OM] Slide vs Digital comparison
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2004 18:52:37 +0100
Dear All

Winsor and I had a brief discusson on the List about the exposure range
of film and digital.  I promised to carry out a (admittedly quite
casual) comparison using the same scene for digital and slide fil.m
Here is a pair of photos, taken in the late afternoon in Ireland
towards Galway Bay.  The Provia shot is taken with a MIJ 50 on my OM4.

Provia 400F:
http://www.threeshoes.co.uk/temp/A0442403_Ireland.jpg

C*non Powershot G5:
http://www.threeshoes.co.uk/temp/D04680_Ireland.jpg

I have not adjusted either shot, nor do I claim any artistic interest
in the composition; I took them solely for comparison.  My conclusion
is that it is much easier to acquire an image which is pleasingly
exposed using film when there is a wide range of exposure values in a
scene.  Digital, at least this digital, is ghastly when shot into the
light.

However, I should be interested in your opinions.

Chris

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.