[OM] Re: Inexpensive ball head

Subject: [OM] Re: Inexpensive ball head
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:12:31 -0700
Well, I have a small, light and rather inexpensive ballhead that I like
a lot, a Velbon PH-253, that will easily support your rig. The Velbons
are vastly superior to the Bogens. I have, and like, a Bogen tripod and
3 other kinds of Bogen head, but their ballheads are really second rate.

BUT... I wouldn't use any ballhead on my monopod. I use the Bogen 3232
monopod head, but with a walking stick with tripod thread on top rather
than a photo monopod. With a monopod, left-right movement is just a
matter of twisting the upright, so all that is needed in a head is an
up/down movement. Bogen's answer is as elegant and useful as their
ballheads are not. The 3232 is small, light, cheap and perfectly
functional. It has an excellent thumbscrew that's almost as quick as a
quick release and WAY smaller and lighter. The thumbscrew is also
reversable for both 3/8" and 1/4" without any loose pieces. The knob to
control the up-down movement is big and positive. Did I mention that I
really like it?

Now a pitch for my other favorite light camera support. The Velbon 343E
tripod is the only small, light, cheap tripod that I've seen that is
worth the trouble of carrying. I often carry it instead of the monopod,
as it is so light and so much more effective than any monopod.

Moose