[OM] Re: Why is it? For Sale

Subject: [OM] Re: Why is it? For Sale
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 15:36:27 -0700 (PDT)
> May as well add my .02 worth. I have two OM4Ts, Champaign,
> Near Mint condition
> that I've been keeping just in case one of my other OM4Ts
> wears out. Hasn't
> happened yet, still going strong.  Will offer either or both
> to the list for $450 each

See, that just confirms my statement.  I'd love to have a
champaign OM4T.  But $450 is too far out of my price range.
Actually, at the moment EVERYTHING is out of my price range, but
that's just par for the course.

You know, I just had a strange thought.  The comment made about
the Pen-F gathering attention makes me wonder if the OM system
could be quite the retrogear in another couple of years.

Anyway, gear that I'm keeping my eyes open for (and hopefully
able to find funds for):

1. 4x5 Color Enlarger
2. Pentax 645NII
3. 4x5 Toyo-CF (with fancy newer lenses)
4. OM-4Ti, OM-3Ti  (ya right)
5. Zuiko 350/2.8 (like that'll happen)
6. Zuiko 90/2 (dreaming)

At lunchtime I went for a walk around the lake and ran into the
local portrait photographer doing an outdoor session. He's still
using RZ-67s and has no plans on changing to digital anytime
soon.  Why?  Specially modified lenses and consistancy.  He does
scan everything, though, and prints digitally to FCA.  I know
his work and I would have a hard time changing too.

I'm staring at a 11x17 picture scanned from Provia 100F hanging
in my office. Even though it's scanned on a Nikon Blurscan II at
2700dpi there is a depth and character to the picture that just
seems missing from the DC pictures.  I'm having a hard time
putting my finger on it, but it appears to come down to the way
film has non-linear responses to various tones. Velvia vs Provia
vs Kodachrome.  No skintones in it, though.

My wife and I just got new cellphones.  Her's has a built-in
camera.  It ain't no Canon-1DS, but I'm suprised at how good the
pictures really are--especially considering that I got them at
work within two minutes of when she took them.  The other day I
photographed an outdoor event for a sponsoring corporation and
exclusively used the M*nolta A1. Early evening there was a lull
in the action so I popped home and ran off a couple of prints
for a couple of friends.  I had been shooting in JPEG Xtra-Fine
with various levels of processing turned on so I was able to
print directly with no post-processing.  The 8x10's were
exceptional!  If you knew what to look for you could see just a
hint of unsharp mask but otherwise they were cat's meow.
Noiseless, razer sharp and excellent color.  All in about five
minutes time.  Skintones rocked.

But film still has it's place.  I'm shooting my OMs a lot more
lately.

AG-Schnozz

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail