[OM] Re: Light & Shade

Subject: [OM] Re: Light & Shade
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:57:25 -0700
on 6/23/04 6:38 PM, AG Schnozz at agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I am not familiar with TCN, but could TCN and the green filter
>> be particularly well  mated?  It is, after all, a C41 film,
>> and thus is inherently different that standard B&W pan films,
>> no?  My past experience with standard B&W films had me using a
>> yellow-green filter for this kind of separation, but I don't
>> recall if that was because I preferred it or I just didn't
>> have a green filter.... ;)  Sr. Moments happen...
>
> Talk about learning something new every day.  I wasn't aware of
> how a green filter improves the tonal seperations of vegetation.
> Makes sense, just never experimented.  Don't even OWN a green
> filter.  Today.
>
> As far as TCN is concerned, I've found that it does a good job
> of responding to filters like a standard B&W film.
>
> AG

Green filter to differentiate foilage shades in B & W is one of the
'old-time' applications. I think they used to call the filter an "X1" and
"X2" for the different shades. It also works somewhat on sky/clouds, like a
yellow/orange filter would, but since it also picks out the greens, its
maybe even more versatile. Don't use it for caucasian portraits, as it will
enhance skin/blemish contrast...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

I don't know if there is an official 'Olympus brand' in the greens... I've
never seen one.