[OM] Re: Why is it? For Sale

Subject: [OM] Re: Why is it? For Sale
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 21:13:00 -0700
on 6/23/04 3:36 PM, AG Schnozz at agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The other day I
> photographed an outdoor event for a sponsoring corporation and
> exclusively used the M*nolta A1. Early evening there was a lull
> in the action so I popped home and ran off a couple of prints
> for a couple of friends.  I had been shooting in JPEG Xtra-Fine
> with various levels of processing turned on so I was able to
> print directly with no post-processing.  The 8x10's were
> exceptional!  If you knew what to look for you could see just a
> hint of unsharp mask but otherwise they were cat's meow.
> Noiseless, razer sharp and excellent color.  All in about five
> minutes time.  Skintones rocked.

This is exactly why digital is 'taking over' for so much photography. It has
finally gotten to the point where its results are definitely 'good enough'
for most non-critical users. I place most of the OM list members in the more
critical category, but many pure amateurs and 'serious prosumers' will not
be willing or able to take the time to learn enough to improve on the 'auto'
settings. These people will be able to buy the digital Rebel or an 8mp Sony,
Minolta, Nikon, or Canon one-piece digicam (or a C-8080Z...) but don't want
to spend hours tweaking images, they just want them 'good enough' to show
off a little. When they see the pictures come out like AG describes above,
they won't feel it necessary to buy a film scanner, put in 15-20 hours
mastering Photoshop, not to mention spending $500+ to buy it when Elements
2.0 came with the scanner... so they go digital for the $800-$1200 instead.

Now if AG's lucky, some of those newly digital prosumers will be turning
over the old 4x5 or M645-II. I won't be giving up my 4T's or 3Ti anytime
soon, but the lure of a good high-end digicam is definitely pulling a bit...
of course by the time I can afford one it will be an E-5 :-p
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...