[OM] Re: [OT] Re: Sigma SD10

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Re: Sigma SD10
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 08:29:58 -0400
At 12:24 AM 6/24/2004, // richard wrote:
>Let me rephrase that, in all of Sigma's printed Ads on the SD9 and SD10,
>they look freakish (the giant eyeball), plasticky skin (the latest model
>with no skin pores with weird colorcast), and plain ugly. Photographers
>have nothing to do with it :-)

The latest Photoshop User magazine has a short review on the
"Digital GEM Airbrush Pro" Photoshop plugin and I quote directly from
the review:

"We've come to accept the soft smooth skin of professional models in
photos as the product of the pro retouch artist. Unretouched skin with
its pores, textures, blemishes, and variations in color can be anything
but beautiful. Digital GEM Airbrush Pro smoothes skin surfaces in an
instant without affecting the detail of important facial features. It's
especially effective for refining pores and skin textures while fully
preserving details such as hair, eyebrows, eyelashes, and the true
character of the subject's face."

Just to make my opinion clear, I like seeing all the pores, blemishes
and imperfections. To me such imperfections are what makes people
truly unique and full of life. I have not seen the SD10 photo you refer to,
but it seems to be the norm in fashion photography to turn the skin to
plastic. So which to people like: reality or a fiction in their mind?
(rhetorical question) (and what about makeup, etc etc etc.... didn't it
all start with Cleopatra, .........)

><snip>
>
>This is probably why I will stay with film cameras for a while yet. I have
>now gotten Color Management under control. My scanned pics look very very
>close to what's on the slides. So all I have to do is to make sure I have
>good pictures on the slides to begin with!

I wish I could say the same, I'm almost close, but it seems the nature of the
medium, slide versus print they can never quite be the same, paper versus
transparency.

Wayne