[OM] BW pictures developed from U.P. trip

Subject: [OM] BW pictures developed from U.P. trip
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 07:22:31 -0700 (PDT)
Last night I finally got around to processing the B&W film from
our trip up north.  There were several shots that I took with
4x5 (HP5), 35mm (PanF), and digital (A1).  It will be very
interesting to see how they all compare when printed.  But in my
initial glimpses I can see things in the negatives with the
naked eye that simply are not there in the digital pictures.

Eyeballing one of the scenes on the negs with a loupe is showing
me the "sharpness" is pretty much a draw between
the Zuikos and my 4x5.  Tonal response is definitely different
and so is the amount of detail available in 4x5, though.
Sharpness isn't everything.

My dust problem with the 4x5s must be improving. I saw only one
dust spec so far.  (Every scene that I used the 4x5 on I shot
two pictures--just in case).  Also, I figured out where the
outer limit of movement is for the lens on the camera, so
edge-blurries are gone.  I'm starting to really have fun with
this camera.  I didn't waste any time reloading holders.  This
weekend I plan on getting out for a while with it again.
Shooting 4x5 is improving my photography, overall, because of
the discipline involved.  No auto focus, exposure, film advance,
instant review, histograms...

I've been developing a working method with the digital when
using mixed formats.  I'm using the digital to "try before you
buy" on some pictures.  This method has resulted in very little
wasted shots on film.  I can try out a concept and see how it
works.  If I like what I see I'll shoot it with film.  The 4x5
ratio of the A1's sensor matches that of the Crown and also
matches most of my prints.  Anyway, by the time I pull the Crown
out of the bag, I'm pretty sure that I'm looking at a winner.
One one picture, though, I worked backwards.  I saw the scene
through the eyes of the 4x5 and shot with it first.  Then I
pulled out the digital.

It's the "money shot".  If it doesn't result in print sales then
I'm in the wrong business.

Another picture has been a challenge.  For the past four trips
I've been trying to get a particular picture of a tree stump and
waterfall.  I've repeatably shot this with everything I've
owned.  FINALLY, I think I've got the winner.  The composition
is almost always the same (no problems there), but the tones and
exposures never have worked out.  This time I think I nailed it.
 The digital version of it is really gut-wrenching, but the negs
from the 4x5 are beautiful.  The Zuiko version just doesn't cut
it either.  There is just something about Zones IV-X that didn't
work.  Nothing against the Zuikos, it's just that in this case
it's a combination of speed (needed faster exposure) and detail.

The Velvia and Provia are getting dropped off tonight at the
lab.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail