[OM] Re: Film in southeast Asia

Subject: [OM] Re: Film in southeast Asia
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:04:15 -0300

On Jun 25, 2004, at 2:09 AM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Andrew
>
> Why not buy your film by mail order?  Contact suppliers now to see if
> they will supply to you in Laos and what they suggest and how you are
> going to pay them.  In addition, why not contact suppliers in Thailand
> (or even Laos) to see what they have for you.

It's a possibility. My main concern would be how it's shipped in terms
of exposure to x-rays and heat. I've done a bit more research since I
sent this message and it looks like there are definitely some good
suppliers in Bangkok. Through photo.net I was able to find a good lab
in Bangkok which is supposed to be the best lab in Southeast Asia,
http://www.iqlab.co.th/.

It's not too far to Bangkok from Vientiane (about 400km) so it may be
possible for me to make resupply trips or have film shipped up overland
without it taking too long.

> I imagine that you will have access to a fridge where you will be
> staying, so keeping the films for a while should not be a problem.  If
> you were to stick to consumer films, with distant expiry dates, you
> would make it easier; however, I should still be tempted to take loads
> of Provia 100F and 400F, with Superia for snapshots.  I should also
> take some Ilford HP5 (or XP2 for ease of processing) for the artistic
> side.

I don't tend to shoot colour neg so I'm not sure how much I'll take. It
is handy to have some prints to show people when you get back though.
I've seen some incredible prints from Fuji NPS as well so that could be
an option for print too. I'm definitely leaning much more to shooting
loads of slide film though. Definitely lots of Provia 100F and 400F and
probably a fair share of Velvia as well. I plan to take some B&W with
me too, not sure exactly what yet. I've been shooting a fair amount of
Tri-X lately and really been liking it.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/