[OM] Re: Cuba suggestions

Subject: [OM] Re: Cuba suggestions
From: "Alienspecimen" <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:20:03 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Henrik,
>...humidity can be oppressive...

If you have not been to the Americas, you would soon find out that "oppressive"
is a mild statement.  You will suffer.
I bet you thought that last years heat wave in Europe was horrible.  Trust me,
it is nothing compared to the hell you are going to experience.
Here is my first account with humidity ever:
I arrived in Cincinnati on 9th of June.  Came out of the airport and after just
three steps, I felt my skin sticky and dirty and, very embarrassed and secretly
had the quick pit sniff check...:).  How did I get so dirty especially in such
a short amount of time?  I was told that I am not dirty, this is normal, it is
just the humidity.  I don?t know how to explain it, may be the feeling of being
covered with used motor oil would be close?
Have you ever put on clothes after you just ironed them?  That is how your
clothes would feel to you at all times.
So here is the gist:
You would be miserable, but don?t miss your only treat.  It is customary there
that cold watermelon is served before meal, eat it because it wont come back
later.
Make sure you have your gear in plastic bags.  They will guard it against the
rain (I think you are going at the time when it rains, more like pours... for a
couple of hours daily) and will be a good temperature equalizer so your camera
and lenses wont fog up...
On the positive side, plenty of photographic opportunities and good cigars...if
you can get pass the heat and humidity, this would be a dream vacation.
Boris
P.S.  If you come across comrade Castro, tell him I said "hi"...we were born on
the same date, him a few hundred years earlier though.  And ask him why he does
not keep a shorter leash on those evil capitalist bastards up north...thanks in
advance

Reason has always existed, but not always in a reasonable form.

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com