[OM] Re: BW pictures developed from U.P. trip

Subject: [OM] Re: BW pictures developed from U.P. trip
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 09:57:28 -0700 (PDT)
> "Sometimes [digital] looks like it's underwater, a little bit
> too smooth. A strobed basketball game on a Hasselblad has a
> sharp line and a punch that digital doesn't have. [...]  Now a
> softer feel image [is considered good], and when noise becomes
> apparent, it's a negative thing, where it wasn't with film."

Sounds like Acutance. Acutance and sharpness are not the same
thing.  Digital is usually sharp enough, but once you have
denoised the photograph and unsharp masked it, any acutance is
long since gone.  I like that "underwater" analogy.

> To the dismay of some, I will here again invoke another one of
> my hobbies. With audio, people LIKE analog distortion, within
> limits. Nobody likes digital distortion.

Well, that is true.  Especially when working with B&W and
attempting to increase contrast in areas of smooth gradient.
Digital will stairstep on you and there's not much you can do
about it unless you layer in HSV noise and a gradient fill or
two.

In the world of human interfaces to the surroundings, our
systems are remarkably non-linear.  Take smell, for instance.
On an elevator a nice smelling woman is far less noticable than
the bicycle courier.

And I'm sure that Walt's neighbor is a bit more pleasant to look
at than Walt.  In the world of digital they'd be, uhm, hmm,
well...she'd still be better looking than Walt.

> Walt, trying to keep up with the doubled curmudgeon duties

You're slipping.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail