[OM] Re: Metz 60 CT-4 Dryfit Battery Rejuvenation

Subject: [OM] Re: Metz 60 CT-4 Dryfit Battery Rejuvenation
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 13:14:23 -0500
At 04:43 AM 6/25/04, Tim Hughes wrote:

>Likely me, I have designed high performance chargers for Sealed Lead Acid
>batteries professionally, and have cycled them to life and death many
>times, while optimizing chargers.

[snipped out the remaining . . . what is for now . . . technobabble]

Tim,
I will have to read your posting several times and I'm archiving it.  In
all seriousness, I appreciate the detail level and technical
information.  Although I can't absorb it with complete comprehension in a
single quick read, it will help me maintain the batteries with an
appropriate charging strategy and extend their capacity/life.

Didn't know any more details about their specific design and technology
other than having Plumbum for half the plates (the others are Zinc?) and an
acid electrolyte.  With my limited knowledge, I believe (guessing) the
primary problem with the old battery was having been left discharged much
longer than it should have been and there was some evidence of sulphation
in its behavior.

Don't know how long it will exhibit its current good behavior and don't
think it can be predicted; primary reason for buying a new battery.  As
long as the old one holds up well, there's a backup to ensure I'm not at
the mercy of Murphy and dead in the water at a most inopportune moment.

Thanks,
-- John Lind