[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:39:42 -0300

> Wayne:
> Check out the current line of Bogen (Manfrotto) tripods:
>    http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/itemlist.php3?manufid=1&sectionid=2

Thanks John for the answer and url's. I, for one, have been missing your
posts, as they are always so thorough, and easy to understand. (as also in
your recent one on color filters for B&W for example)

> OM-4[T,ti] versus OM-2S[sp]:
> If you use the OM-2S in AE mode very nearly all the time, and are
satisfied
> with its center-weighted metering, you're not likely to notice much
> difference.

Actually I use the OM2s about 90% of the time, and in spot mode about 99% of
the time. I actually find the OMPC better in aperture priority or program
mode, probably because of ESP metering.

>For me, the OM-4 and OM-2S center-weighted AE mode
> has performed so well under nearly all conditions that using some other
> mode on the OM-4 beyond the OM-2S metering is rare, and involves lighting
> conditions I characterize as exotic . . . beyond unusual.
> -- John Lind

I rarely ever shoot the OM2s in program mode. Then last fall I used it that
way with Kodak Portra 400VC, to shoot a bunch of outdoor pictures at my
son's wedding. I was glad I wasn't the official photographer, as most of
mine came out underexposed. Even with the latitude of the film, they were
mostly useless. I blamed it on the white dress, which of course was a
significant portion of the frame. It was an overcast day, and I was trusting
program mode (and the film latitude), a mistake on my part I guess,
especially having not much experience with the OM2s in that mode. Another
wedding I shot for my neice, as the only photographer, with the OMPC in
program mode, came out fine. Perhaps I was lucky on that one.

Wayne