[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 09:49:07 -0400
Sounds like we think alike on this list, or is it just the OM camera
bestows that upon us? Most of my macro stuff has background light
changing when clouds move and changes the light, but that can also
change the light in the subject, like a translucent flower. In which
case the spot-metered-auto-mode-compensated method will not necessarily
yield the desired result, and is where you want real-time-multi-spot
metering. But even then, the choice of what to spot meter might change.
If the light changes the exposure choices can change. I may then get
out the Flexfill diffuser to both control the contrast and give uniform
lighting, such that when the overall light level changes, the
spot-metered-auto-mode-compensated auto metering method again works,
except that the background light can still change. .... I guess, there
is no general exposure solution, which makes photography fun, you get
to think every time you press the button. Alternatively, you can get
out the wonderbrick with matrix metering that thinks for you.

So, I'm not sure that even if you have real-time multi-spot metering
throughout the frame, that you have solved the metering problem for
macro with changing light levels. As Moose points out, the wind is the
real problem, so you have to cheat. I use an old arrow I stick in the
ground. You have to continually evaluate exposure. I personally never
use things that will damage the subject, like the Plamp. A personal
choice I picked up from Rod Planck. Next question, do you farm your
macro compositions?

Wayne