[OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: need tripod help/ also about macro stuff/ 4ti
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:54:44 -0300

> A thought comes to mind about the wedding pix that didn't work.  Did you
> look at the negatives?  What was their density compared to others from
> which you've gotten good prints?  Underexposed would look comparatively
> "thin."  It wouldn't be the first time an inexperienced printer (or worse,
> one that doesn't care) has punched in too much print density to make a
> print average 18% gray when it's got significant regions of white wedding
> dress.
>
> Portra NC has very wide latitude, and VC has nearly as much if not the
same
> (the new UC is another story).  In having some larger prints made from it
> I've noticed that it's wider than consumer print materials, which seem to
> have more saturation compared to a couple years ago (also makes them
> contrastier), and it's wider than many professional print materials.  If
> you still have the negs and haven't looked closely at them, you might pull
> the out when you have some spare time and examine them with a loupe.  If
> you've got sufficient detail in both highlight and shadow regions that
> *should* have detail in them there's no problem with the negatives, it's
> the printer.
>
> -- John Lind

Because I wasn't the official photographer, and was trying to save a bit of
money, I actually had the film developed and printed at WalMart. I wasn't
expecting professional printing, but thought I'd get the ones I liked
printed later at a better place. So when they came out way too dark, I
naturally blamed them. I then took some of the negs to a professional
developer, and had them print some. They couldn't really improve much on the
prints either. So I asked them if the one hour lab at Walmart had possibly
messed up on the developing of the film, but they were quite sure that that
was not the problem. Their opinion was that the developing is quite
accurate, even in the one hour labs. That left me with no one left to blame
but myself.
I have however, since then, mostly stopped using the one hour cheaper
places.
Wayne