[OM] Re: Cuba suggestions

Subject: [OM] Re: Cuba suggestions
From: Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 12:36:00 -0500
Greetings Henrik,
        Sorry to respond so late, but I've just returned from vacation and
have just caught up with postings.
        You would do well to heed Boris' advice regarding weather in Cuba in
July. All hyperboli aside, if you are not used to tropical heat and humidity
it is not only enervating but for the uninitiated can be dangerous. My
advice is to adopt the Southern Strategy ie slowww downnn, where a real hat
(not a worthless baseball hat), where light-weight, light-colored, loosely
fitting clothing (and if you plan to be in sun a long time make it a long
sleeved shirt; baggy short pants are OK), and drink LOTS of water. Save the
alcohol consumption for the cooler evenings. Plan on taking it VERY easy the
first few days until you acclimate. This advice pertains to the adults. A 10
week old baby is another matter. Infants, even those born in hot climates,
DO NOT tolerate heat well. So be very careful!! I'm very serious about this!
I'm also concerned about water and food bourne illness specifically for the
child. An adult with travel related diarrhea/vomiting will be misrable for
24/36 hours (been there, done that) but it can be lethal for an infant. And
I'm not picking on less developed countries; I got a terrible case of it
when in West Germany in the '70s.

Best Regards,
Charlie