[OM] Re: Changing light, changing exposure

Subject: [OM] Re: Changing light, changing exposure
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 11:22:05 -0700 (PDT)
--- Walt Wayman wrote:
> This ain't rocket science.

Actually, there is a slight fault to your methodology.  While it
works great for compositions where the subject and background
maintain the same lighting ratios, it will fail if you are
dealing with a situation where the subject of interest occupies
a small portion of the scene or is off-balance.

If I base my exposure (divine inspiration being preferred
method) on a small or offset portion of the picture and then
flip it over to centerweighted auto, I can dial in exposure
compensation to match my "D.I." exposure. IF the brightness of
the centerweighted region ALWAYS maintains the same brightness
ratio to my offset or tiny subject I'm ok.  However, if the
lighting conditions of the overall scene are different than my
subject then I've got problems. This will occur if you are using
light modifiers such as umbrellas, shades, diffusion panels,
smoke or mirrors.

See, I just made it rocket science.

AG-Schnozz

p.s. This method DOES work and works extremely well.  Just be
aware that it isn't a universal solution.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail