[OM] Re: Scanning grain

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanning grain
From: James Royall <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 10:59:07 +0100
As Moose suggested, try keeping everything maximum resolution and see
what happens. A couple of other things I have found when scanning b/w
are that  grain does seem more visible on screen than when printed.
With the max res file you get try running out a print a see what you
think. I know this is true with any film type, but it does seem to me
more noticeable with b/w.

My other question would be if the contrast reducing grain is
predominantly in the black or near black areas? I had a scan of a shot
taken at night that showed this problem and found that clipping the
blacks in levels cured it without losing too much of the shadow detail.

Generally I do agree that grain can be a problem with b/w scanning, and
this seems to be the opinion of the 'common "wisdom"' found on the net.
That is what led me to try chromogenic b/w film (XP2, etc). I have only
gone through one roll as yet, but I'm pretty happy with the results.

James