[OM] Re: Which Stylus?

Subject: [OM] Re: Which Stylus?
From: Geilfuss Charles <Charles.Geilfuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:54:48 -0500
Andrew,
        The Stylus Epic is a great little camera. I've had mine for about
three years and always carry it as a backup particularly for grab shots. And
I've never missed the zoom. I've had some experience with P&S zooms (both
Oly and non-Oly) and have never been very impressed or happy with them.
        I wouldn't be too worried about the battery. With a fresh CR123 you
should get about 25 rolls, give or take a few depending on how much you use
the flash. If you are really worried about it just pack an extra battery:
they weigh next to nothing and have a very long shelf life.
        I mostly use print film in mine, typically 400-800 ISO for
flashless-photography. My son and I recently attended the funeral services
for the crew of the CSS Hunley, and I let him shoot the Epic with Ektachrome
100. I used the same with my OM-2n. The slides he shot were mostly
acceptable, but some done in open full sun were a bit over-exposed compared
to the OM-2n.
        There are no manual controls but it does have something that
resembles a spot meter.
        As far as other camera makers go I can't help you. I know people
speak highly of the Konica GR-1, Contax and Leica P&S but now you're talking
big bucks.

Good Luck,
Charlie