[OM] Re: OT Electronic memories, was Qualifications

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Electronic memories, was Qualifications
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:41:26 -0700
Nope. I was born in Illinois only because my father was in the service.
I don't remember anything about it, as we returned to CA when I was less
than 18 mos old. Strictly a Bezerkeley boy.

My electronic brother and I both worked, he longer than I, at a little
shop called Zackit about half a block from the UC campus. Heathkits were
our primary product. We also sold speakers, mostly Electrovoice and AR,
turntable/changers, electronic parts, etc. We had a unique guarantee. If
you built a Heathkit you bought from us and followed the instructions,
we guaranteed it would work properly or we would fix it. All you had to
do was bring in the finished kit and we would check it out. If nervous,
you didn't even have to plug it in before bringing it in. That guarantee
sold a lot of kits to people who would not otherwise have considered
them. Interesting thing was that women were, in general, the most
uncertain of their ability to build a kit and at the same time, the most
likely to do it right. The instructions were phenominally good and women
more often than men would just follow them literally, making no
assumptions.

Moose