[OM] Re: Canada Day

Subject: [OM] Re: Canada Day
From: "Earl Dunbar" <edunbar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 2004 22:20:40 -0400
OK, here goes.

You vote for a MP (member of parliament)
Paper ballots with one mark, easy to count (quickly) and verify
Party with the most MPs elected wins, forms government with the winning party's
leader as Prime Minister
Sometimes a party has a clear majority (previous 4-5 elections), sometimes a
minority (this election)

Pretty straight forward.

No hanging chads, never very many recounts (rules for that are clear), and
never any judicial appeals.  And guess what, no Electoral "College" (haven't
any of those clowns earned their degrees yet?) to ensconce a President that the
people didn't vote for.

Saanich (as in the riding of Oshawa this year where a Conservative took the
election in spite of a plurality of votes for Liberal and NDP candidates) can
elect an MP who did not get a clear majority because there are more than two
Tweedledum and Tweedledumber parties that have enough support to garner
significant votes.  In practical terms in Canda, this keeps the two
right-leaning parties from going too whacko.  Things like medicare, Canada
pension plan and unemployment insurance are the product of minority governments
which had to cooperate and compromise to function.

Earl who will watch the party on Parliament Hill on CBC.