[OM] Re: ( OM ) B&W film for low contrast

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) B&W film for low contrast
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 19:56:13 -0500
At 04:44 PM 7/1/04, Brian Swale wrote:
>I note that Agfa Scala has just turned up here for  sale - $22 NZ per 36 exp
>roll. Has to be processed outside NZ somewhere. Does Scala have any
>advantage?

Scala 200X is Great Stuff.  I believe you're aware that it's reversal!  In
the event you weren't, you are now.  It has wider latitude than the color
chromes, very nice mid-tones that don't go muddy and it's very, very nearly
as fine grain as the ISO 100 Ektachromes.  You will get much detail
level.  In addition, it can be pushed up to three stops and pulled by a
stop.  Agfa designed Scala with this in mind.  Their process specs for it
include push and pull, and AFIK, all their certified labs must be able to
handle it.  I recommend two rolls for a test.  Shoot a range of subject
material in tone and value ensuring you include things similar to the
subject material you intend to shoot for the book without using any filters
and shoot the same stuff in color using another camera . . . so you can see
how it responds.  Burn one at its ISO 200 rating and burn the other at
pull-1 using EI 100 which will open up its latitude compared to its rated
speed, and increase the fineness of its grain . . . both being goals you
want to accomplish with the photographs.  There will be a surcharge for the
pull processing of one of the rolls (if you get a pre=paid mailer with it,
you'll have to include some additional $$ for the push/pull surcharge).  I
presume the price you gave includes mailers for developing it.  If it does,
it's not too bad.  I buy it with mailers for a Florida lab.

Agfa's Scala 200X web page:
   http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/scala/

Scala 200X Data Sheet (covers several Agfa B/W films):
   http://www.agfa.com/photo/pdf/products/F-PF-E4_en.pdf

Certified Scala 200X lab closest to you in Oz:
   http://www.agfa.com/photo/products/professional/film/scala/labs/#AU
   [It's in your neighbor, Australia]

Regarding the desire for lower contrast for outdoor, I'd very carefully
consider all the colors present in the scene, and especially the subject
material before using *any* filters.  It's why I suggested testing the
Scala without filters and shooting the same things in color using another body.

-- John Lind