[OM] Re: ( OM ) Canada day - "Angel of the North"

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) Canada day - "Angel of the North"
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2004 07:31:41 +0100
Brian

I have not seen the Angel of the North, but I take issue with the idea
that it is not artistic merely because it is not pretty.  As I
understand it, the statue is beside the A1, or Great North Road, and
dominates an urban landscape.   I think that you would find all sorts
of ways to include it in an artistic photograph; stark or forbidding
perhaps, but artistic nevertheless.

Cheers

Chris

On 3 Jul 2004, at 16:45, Brian Swale wrote:

> The statue "Angel of the North" is truly remarkable as far as I can
> tell from
> the websites that a google search turns up.
>
> Remarkable, in my opinion for its immense size, and - I think its
> non-artistic
> nature. For my 2 cents worth it isn't pretty at all, and where it has
> been
> placed on a hill-top to catch all passing and incautious aircraft, it
> would be
> very difficult to take a photograph that had much artistic merit - as
> the web-
> shots show. I think.  It must catch a huge amount of wind in a storm.
>
> However, it is without doubt quite original. I've never seen anything
> like it.
>
> Brian

<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker