[OM] Re: [OT] Sunpak Nocto 400 flash unit

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Sunpak Nocto 400 flash unit
From: Wayne Harridge <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 08:21:45 +1000

> John A. Lind <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Wayne,
> I've had (and still have) a fair amount of Sunpak stuff.  Never heard
> of
> that one!  Wish I could help.  Any clues about the controls and their
>
> markings?  Is it generic (center trigger contact only) or is it
> dedicated
> (multiple contacts)?

This is an IR flash (has a filter over the tube), purely manual, only has a PC
cord.
It has a calculator dial, but I'm not sure how accurate it would be as I have
no idea
what the spectral output of the flash is and how it would match various films.

> IMPORTANT!
> If this beast is an older one I _very_strongly_ recommend you get a
> multi-meter and **carefully** measure its trigger voltage!  Start out
> in
> the 500 or more VDC range.  Trigger voltages on old flashes (which
> can be
> deceptively in great condition) are often 300 or more volts (the
> reason to
> measure it with care in handling the meter probes).  I've got a
> couple old
> Sunpaks and a Rollei flash I don't dare let anywhere near the OM
> gear.  They're OK with the Rollei 35 and ancient Zeiss Ikon Contax
> (mechanical relay triggering), but would fry the OM's with electronic

Thanks !  Yes, the flash is in very nice condition but it may be old, I'll
check the
voltage before using it with anything sensitive (I would guess an OM-1(n) would
be ok).

...Wayne

Wayne Harridge

http://lrh.structuregraphs.com