[OM] Re: Shift lenses (addendum)

Subject: [OM] Re: Shift lenses (addendum)
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 14:37:07 -0500
At 02:21 PM 7/5/04, I wrote:
>I'm not surprised that you're seeing a shrinkage in the field when you
>shift in any direction off-axis (center).  I would expect that from the
>geometry of the portion of the image cone you're using centered versus the
>portion you're using shifted.  The angle at the apex of the light cone for
>the portion of the cone being used by the film gate shrinks slightly as it
>is moved from center toward the edge of the cone.

Addendum:
A rectilinear lens maps flat planes in space parallel to the film plane . .
. to the film plane.  If you've ever used a WA to photograph a group of
people, especially anything shorter than 35mm (in 35mm format), and had
someone's head too close to an edge, or especially a corner, it looks
unnaturally distorted.  This is because a rectilinear lens preserves angles
parallel to the film plane, not areas.  Look at a brick wall parallel to
the film plane and the bricks' rectangular angles are preserved, but not
their relative areas across the film plane.  [A true fisheye does the
opposite; preserves areas at the expense of angles by mapping hemispheres
in space to the flat film plane . . . And Shazaaam! . . . Its images looks
like a polar projection maps of the Earth.]

-- John Lind