[OM] E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: "Jim Sharp" <jsharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 15:47:54 -0500
After seeing so many nice E1 photos posted to the list, I don't think this
question is too far out of line. It's not politics and SUV's, but it's as close
to on topic as I can get. ;)

I'm curious if anyone has done any direct comparisons of image quality and
overall performance between the other approximate $1500 DSLR's and the E1? The
reason is simple. I'm considering buying one to replace my D100 provided I can
really better myself by doing so. I've taken some really wonderful photos with
my N$kon but honestly, it suffers from a few problems that are to me
insurmountable. Such as  -

Poor metering especially with flash. My early 80's OM2 and beater OM4 are far
better in normal use, and in another league altogether as far as using flash. I
can depend on them every time. The N$kon is more like a Holga. Whatever you
get, just call it art.

Lack of dynamic range. Think of the most contrasty slide film you've ever shot,
but with less latitude. Dark subjects and blown highlights are the typical D100
shot and it happens so commonly it's almost impossible to guess what exposure
to use for a given scene. Lots of bracketing and check the histogram.

Tons of post process to get decent quality images. I work in front of a PC all
day. I want to practice photography, not be a photoshop guru. Are the E1 images
any better straight out of the camera or is this just the current state of the
digital world?

Anyone that has any 1st or even 2nd hand information to guide me, I'd love to
hear it...

--
Jim