[OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs. 10D, D100, D70, etc...
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:51:00 -0700 (PDT)
JS wrote:
> Lack of dynamic range. Think of the most contrasty slide film
> you've ever shot, but with less latitude. Dark subjects and
> blown highlights are the typical D100 shot and it happens so
> commonly it's almost impossible to guess what exposure to use
> for a given scene. Lots of bracketing and check the histogram.

I'd take into account your lens selection and the current
investment there.  Instead of possibly taking a bath on that,
you might consider a prolevel Nikon, such as a used D1X or D2H.
The latitude of those sensors and the metering is a tad better.
Not to mention the focus speed.  Flash control of the D2H is
outstanding.  I don't know if the D1X is better or the same as
the D100 in flash control.

> Tons of post process to get decent quality images. I work in
> front of a PC all day. I want to practice photography, not be
> a photoshop guru. Are the E1 images any better straight out of
> the camera or is this just the current state of the digital
> world?

In the Nikon mount world, I'm seeing the Fuji S2 and the D1X and
the D2H producing outstanding results with no post processing.
The E1 is, again in my opinion, also an excellent JPEG camera
with terrific results requiring little, if any, post-production.

I've been hanging out with a couple of Nikon shooters lately and
the results and opinions of the D2H are that it's a killer
camera except for absolute resolution (it is not a studio
camera).  Color, though, is exceptional.  The Fuji S2 handles
highlights very well and produces great JPEGs.  The D1X is
worthy of being called a Nikon.  All of these machines allow
various customizations of the curves, saturations and color
around here have settled on the D2H with the Fuji S2 for backup
and for formals.  Nearly all are shooting JPEG with minimal
post-production.  Strange thing, but there really aren't many
wedding pros in this area shooting Canon--the vast majority are
Nikon.

That all said, I'm very impressed with what I see coming
straight out of E1s. Olympus has figured something out in their
processing engine that the others haven't.

Handling, weight, size, controls and viewfinder are very
subjective.  I'd say you have to see which one fits you best.
In all but the very largest prints you won't see any real
quality difference between the E1 and any other 6MP camera.

Before totally throwing the D100 out, I'd be running through
every possible color tweek in-camera.  With my M*n*lt* A1 I've
built two white-balance settings that I do MOST of my shooting
with.  One does a pretty good job of mimicking Provia (Daylight)
and the other is a good knockoff of Portra 160NC (Daylight)
adjusted to counter must Tungstan light. Auto White Balance on
most digital camera just doesn't nail it.  The A1 has a four-way
white-balance which gives pretty good control and allows you to
warm the picture without actually warming the picture--if that
makes any sense.

AG

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail